Action from the 2017 World League match between Italy and Iran in Pesaro
Lausanne, Switzerland, September 10, 2017 – Italy and Iran will meet each other on the first day of the 2017 FIVB Men's World Grand Champions Cup, just like they did on the first day of the 2017 FIVB World League. The match on Tuesday in Nagoya will be their second encounter in the history of the World Grand Champions Cup.
• These nations will meet for the second time at the World Grand Champions Cup. In 2013, Iran beat Italy in five sets – 3-2 (26-24, 16-25, 25-23, 23-25, 15-12).
• Italy have won each of their last four competitive matches against Iran, all in straight sets. Their last meeting came at the 2017 World League, when Italy recorded a 3-0 home win over Iran in Pesaro.
• Iran last beat Italy at world level at the 2014 World Championships, when they claimed a 3-1 first round victory.
• In 1993, Italy won the inaugural edition of the World Grand Champions Cup and also participated in the 2005 (3rd) and 2013 (3rd) editions.
• Italy have won just one of their last four World Grand Champions Cup matches, the 3-0 win over Japan in 2013.
• Italy have lost five of their 15 World Grand Champions Cup matches, including four in five sets.
• Italy, silver medallist at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, lost to Belgium in the quarterfinals of the 2017 European Championship.
• Iran will make their third appearance at the World Grand Champions Cup, after finishing fifth in 2009 and fourth in 2013.
• Three of Iran's four wins at the World Grand Champions Cup have come in five sets.
• Iran have lost just one of their last four World Grand Champions Cup matches, the 0-3 defeat against Russia in 2013.